Sunday, September 20, 2009

Influences





Hands down Mary Shelley is definitely my influence for the story.

Why, you may ask?

Well the answer is simple: Frankenstein.


How I, then a young girl, came to think of, and to dilate upon, so very hideous an idea?
"Preface", 1831 edition of Frankenstein

How I, then a young man, came to think of, and to dilate upon, so very hideous an idea?
"Preface", 2010 edition of Beta Earth: Between Worlds



Now don't get me wrong Shelley had many great revolutionary books, the Last Man, being one of them. She was also a very progressive thinker in a time that didn't accept progressive thinkers (especially from women). Her brave writing definitely inspired me.

When creating Beta Earth I really wanted to create that sense of a mythological monster in modern settings.

Clave is that modern day monster and just like Frankenstein you have to ask yourself. Can a monster ever be loved?

I think we all feel like an outsider at one time or another just looking for love or acceptance.

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenstein
For more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment